The Cooling Game
Think about cooling vests in the same way you think about winter coats.
You wouldn't expect your body to perform well without a coat in 35º weather. Your body would have to protect itself naturally by shivering to generate heat.
Yet we all fully expect our body to perform on demand when it's 80º and higher. Without the assist of a cooling solution, your body will sweat to remain cool, which results in dehydration, which puts strain on our brain and other organs, leading to heat injuries -- or worse.
Hydration and Temperature Regulation are the ultimate human performance tools. Thanks to companies that put out sports drinks, we all know about hydration. Thermoregulation, on the other hand, is rarely a part of the performance conversation.
It's important to understand that you can fall victim to heat stroke even when fully hydrated -- so important is the cooling piece to the puzzle.
PRECOOLING stalls the point at which overheating would normally occur. If your activity doesn't allow for cooling on-the-job, then this method of cooling is for you:
- Precool for 30 minutes or longer to outlast your competition
- Precool to boost your mental and physical endurance
- Precool while "warming up" to reserve your game-time performance
MID-ACTIVITY or SIDELINES COOLING
- Throw on your cooling vest whenever you take a break to restore physical and mental endurance
- Your body keeps sweating after extended activity in warm environments. Your cooling vest helps your body safely recover.
- Ice Tubs are considered the gold standard for cooling an overheated athlete, but are not always available. The Maximo Cooling Vest is the next best option.